Skype was one of the first video chat services to be rolled out in 2003. Since then, it has facilitated countless conversations between people all over the world.
However, when people from many countries are conversing, there can certainly be language barriers.
Luckily, Skype has a translation tool that lets you chat, call, and video call using spoken and written translations on your screen.
Here’s how to activate it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (from $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (from $299.99 at Best Buy)
iPhone 11 (from $699.99 at Best Buy)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (from $899.99 at Best Buy)
How to use Skype Translator on your computer
1. Open the Skype app on your Mac or PC.
2. Open “Chats”.
3. Right-click on the contact you want to translate conversations with. Select “View Profile”.
4. Select “Send translation request”.
Once the other person accepts your translation request, your messages and calls will be translated automatically.
During your conversation, Skype will display your translated messages.
How to use Skype Translator on your mobile device
1. Open the Skype app on your iPhone or Android.
2. Tap the Account icon to see an overview of your account options.
3. Tap “Settings”.
4. Tap “General”.
5. Tap “Translation settings”.
6. Tap on “Spoken language”.
7. Select the chosen language.
8. Tap the contact you want to have a translated conversation with.
9. Scroll down to “Translate conversation” and click on “Send translation request”.
ten. The contact will receive a notification that you have requested a translated conversation. They will need to click “Accept” to start it.
11. Once they accept, it will say “Translations enabled” under “Translate conversation”.
When they say something in their language, a voice speaks it in Skype in your preferred language, and a transcript also shows it in your preferred language.