The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is pleased to announce new funding available to support Indigenous language professionals who wish to advance their knowledge and skills.
The GNWT recognizes that Indigenous language interpreters and translators are essential to language revitalization and realizing the vision of a land where Indigenous languages are supported, respected and thrive.
Indigenous language interpreters and translators living in the Northwest Territories (NWT) can now apply for funding to cover eligible expenses including tuition, fees, books and materials to support their participation at :
- Terminology workshops on topics such as health, social services, justice, politics, mining and the environment.
- Training in computer software such as Microsoft, Zoom, GoTo Meeting, Adobe Acrobat, etc., and in the use of smartphones and tablets.
- Continuing professional training and upgrading.
Interested Indigenous language interpreters and translators may submit a maximum of two applications. Each application can receive up to $1,000 in funding. Applications will be accepted between July 2022 and March 2023. More information on funding and how to apply can be found at www.ece.gov.nt.ca/it-funding.
This funding supports Action 2.4 of the NWT Indigenous Languages Action Plan 2018-2022, which aims to support and provide training to new and existing interpreters and translators in the NWT.
“It is a priority of our government to support First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples in their efforts to revitalize their languages and train the next generation of Indigenous language speakers. This includes support for Indigenous language interpreters and translators, who are essential to the preservation and revitalization of Indigenous languages.
– R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- On July 18, 2022, the Government of Canada announced that the NWT will receive $17,700,000 over 3 years (2021-22 to 2023-24) under the Canada-Northwest Territories Indigenous Languages Agreement.
- The GNWT is providing $156,000 to support Indigenous language interpreters and translators in the NWT.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Manager, Public Affairs and Communications
Ministry of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9352 Ext. 71073